July 13, 2013
As I sit watching TV with my wife, I’m constantly tinkering with my tablet. As I stand in line at the DMV, I’m on my smart phone. As I step back into the cart after a golf shot, I’m checking my email and messenger. My 8 year old son was born into this mobile world. He already uses text messaging and video chat. I hate to admit it but I end up telling him the “When I was your age…” stories about how different it was. So do you think he and others like him are more or less likely to use the internet on a mobile device?
Seems like no matter what I do, I always make sure there is a device handy to keep me connected. From the recent articles I’ve read, it appears I’m not alone. The world is changing. You can change with it or get left behind.
Here are some amazing facts I found on Pocket Your Shop:
1. 91% of adults have their mobile phone within arms reach 24/7. (Source: Nielsen)
2. By 2015, 81% of U.S. cell users will have smartphones. (Source: Goldman Sachs)
3. By 2014, mobile internet usage will overtake desktop internet usage. (Source: Nielsen)
4. 95% of mobile users use their devices for local search. (Source: Nielsen)
5. 9 out of 10 mobile phone searches result in a purchase or visit. (Source: Nielsen)
6. 75% of mobile users use their mobile device for shopping. (Source: Nielsen)
7. 39% of instances where a consumer walks out of a store without buying were influenced by smartphones. (Source: MarketingLand)
8. 46% of consumers will NOT return to a mobile site that is not working properly. (Source: Nielsen)
9. 18% of all web traffic in the U.S. is mobile traffic. That number skyrockets to 24% in Africa, and 30% in Asia. This is up 192.5% since 2011. (Source: Pingdom)
If you are like me and were blown away by this, maybe it’s time your business addresses this trend. It’s not so expensive to add a mobile module to your website so that you only have update content once and it will display it in one of two templates - either the regular template for desktops or a mobile template for devices. AND, your site figures what device the user is on automatically.
Now get out there and look good!
©2013 Motley Creations. All rights reserved.